Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 3, 2018

TESTICLE PLANTS - AKA LADY'S SLIPPER








They are everywhere!!  I just love this time of year when these beauties are in bloom - I call them my Testicle plants but they are really Pink Lady's Slipper - a member of the orchid family.  They typically grow in acidic soils which we seem to have in abundance here.  It is the provincial flower of Prince Edward Island so they are a long way from home.  These plants can live  twenty years  or more.
If you want one and want to go out in the forest and dig one up, don't waste your time.  The root system is very complicated and the chance of you successfully harvesting and transplanting one to your garden is very very slim.  Please don't do it.  Leave them be and just take pictures of them as I have.
They are only here for a short time, so get out and enjoy them if you are lucky enough to live close to where they bloom.  If not, please enjoy my pictures.

No comments: