Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 31, 2012

SEARCH AND RESCUE ON 129

Ute called yesterday that Tasha was missing - Tasha is her new puppy, a 1 1/2 year old rescue husky that, unfortunately, likes to wander.  She is trying to teach her to stay away from the highway and to stick around the camp.  But yesterday she didn't and had been missing for about 2 hours.  I told her not to worry that I would go out on my 4 wheeler to search for her.  I thought the four wheeler would get her attention as it is not the quietest vehicle on the road.  I suited up as we had had snow that morning and was still snowing a bit.  I went up the tower road searching and up the hydro line to a certain point.  I met Ute and she gave me a leash in case I came across Tasha.  Ute had said that she had heard a whimper and then a few barks, then nothing.  She was worried that something might have attacked her.  She called her other neighbour, Mike, who searched with a gun (just in case Tasha was injured and had to be put down).  I then started north up the highway and went down driveways, all the time calling her name.  I went down one driveway and saw tracks in the snow - fresh tracks so I followed them.  They wandered off close to the highway so I started down the highway again.  I just happened to stop and look back and there she was, on the side of the road looking at me.  I stopped and turned off the 4 wheeler and called her.  I had a cookie ready.  She ran up to me but at the last moment kind of backed off but I had taken hold of her collar and attached the leash.  I then had to hold the leash away from the 4 wheeler and slowly go back up the highway to Ute's all the while trying to keep Tasha away from the front of the quad.  She followed quite nicely.  Ute was very happy to see her and invited me in to her place to warm up my fingers and hands that were frozen and hurting very very much.  I then went down the cottage road and retrieved Mike and rode him double home.  On my little 250!!  That would have been a sight to see. 
All's well that ended well.  This time.  Tasha is still a puppy and doesn't realize the dangers of the bush and the highway.  I think Ute will be schooling her this week to stay on the property. 
Me, I had a good time riding the quad in snowy conditions on the rescue mission.  Just another day in paradise...
Tonite, Sauna and Smelting - fun fun fun!!!
See Ya Bye

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my neighbour and Friend,
I want you and the whole world to know that you are my Hero today and from this day forward I will even like 4-wheelers. I had been running around for the past two hours and could not have covered all these grounds...
Thank you sooooo much for tracking down my baby girl Natasha and bringing her home safely, thank you for your help also, dear neighbour Mike,
Ute

Meagan Beavers said...

What a great friend and neighbour you are!