Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

HAPPY TRAILS







We went on a short (6 hour) trail ride with Ron and Mary today and what a perfect day it was - bright and sunny and not cold!!
I was a bit apprehensive about crossing water so we started out by just zooming across the narrows on his lake and taking the trails - we did hit a bit of slush and I have to be honest I freaked a bit.  Ron had given me his "ice picks" before we left his place.  They are to be used if you accidentally find yourself in the water - you jam the pick ends into the ice and pull yourself onto the ice.  I felt a bit safe with them around my neck.
We stopped on a nice little lake along the trail and there was an ice hut set up.  We followed Ron who travelled up and around the hut but we noticed he was waving us around.  We continued up to the ice hut and found ourselves in slush again.  They had drilled a hole in the ice and the water had come up and made it slushy around the hut.  The people in the hut must have heard me yelling at Rejean to speed up out of the slush - that was twice I saw my life flash before my eyes.  But we made it and stopped for our sandwich break.
We put over 100 Kilometres today on the trails.  They haven't been groomed yet as there isn't enough snow and a lot of trimming needs to be done.
Coming home it was getting late and Ron decided to take the lake way home and I knew he was going to do this because it would cut at least 1/2 hour out of our trip home.  Coming down the little hill I could see the slush on the lake and I just closed my eyes and grabbed Reagan's shoulders and again watched my life flash.  I could feel the machine bog down in the slush and Rejean gun it to keep us going.  I let out a couple of screams (ok, a lot) and I didn't open them until we got to Ron's.  I needed and got a nice cold beer to calm me down.  We laughed about it but it was scary for me.  I really don't like slush.
It was a very good day!

No comments: