Total Pageviews

Friday, February 13, 2015

AFTER SO MANY YEARS...

… and a lot of procrastination, I have finally started the process of getting a dental implant.  I have had a cap on my front tooth since I was 16 and have only had it changed  twice.  During the past few years, my dentists have advised me to do something about it and each recommended a dental implant.  I have put it off and put it off for so many years but due to the warnings from my current dentist, I finally have committed to do it.  So last Thursday, I had my front tooth removed and a bone graft was also performed so that there would be enough bone for the implant to take.
I am a big chicken when it comes to freezing especially when it is the front tooth.  They have to freeze the front and then  into the palate which, from past experience, hurts like hell.  I requested nitrous oxide to relax me which they froze my mouth.  I have never had "laughing gas" before and I really didn't notice any difference and I still felt the needles.  But after the freezing had taken effect, he pulled the tooth.  He had to administer a bit more as I could feel some pain after during the other procedure.  I never opened my eyes during the whole thing.  I think it is better that way.
I have a temporary denture that I can wear for four months until it has healed.  Then the actual implant is inserted.  And then after a few more months to allow for healing, I get my permanent crown put in place.  I should be good as new by October 2015.
It is a long process and a few more trips to the dentist's office and some more freezing and pain but it will be worth it in the end.  I have always hated the cap as it didn't look natural - by the end of all this, I will be happy.


No comments: