Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

AN AMERICAN BITTERN

We were out exploring after our ice cream cones at the Post when we spotted this bird.  He just froze with his "nose" as Stacey called it, pointing up in the air.  Well this is how this bird reacts to intruders.  He is stripped and while frozen in place, he resembles the reeds in his marsh habitat.  But I saw him.  I have never seen one before and when I got back home I looked him up in my trusty Birds Of Ontario handbook.  I guess I should keep track of all my bird sightings because they are starting to add up and some of them have been extraordinary - like this one.  Nice to see something so different.

See Ya Bye

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a 'stuck up' bird with it's nose in the air. tee hee

Michael William Scott said...

Nice one! You've probably seen them before and just didn't know it. Especially in flight. They kinda resemble a miniature Blue Heron when flying; their gullet hangs down.....and feet all hanging out the back. (all two of them, that is:-)