Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 19, 2013

AN EXCELLANT START TO FISHING SEASON

What a way to start the fishing season!! A 22 inch 3 pound walleye!!  We headed to our favourite opening day spot at about 6:30 - the river was very high and our shoreline was underwater.  Good thing we wore our waders or we wouldn't have reached our spots.  I happened to get the end spot and started casting.  I got him very early after only a few casts.  I knew he was a good size - I could feel the weight and the pull and knew it wasn't just the current.  I had my drag set just right - he wasn't getting off.  I didn't horse him in - I let him pull - altho my first instinct was to get him to the net.  Rejean was right there with the net as I brought him in.  It is a very important job netting the fish.  There have been times where you just can"t seem to get him in the net and sometimes the fish gets away.  But this time everything went well.  He was a nice one.  He spent the nite in the basket in our lake and right now, he is 2 fillets and 2 cheeks in my fridge.  Yum Yum.

I think we are going to try and add to our catch tonite at another favourite spot.  Tis the season for walleye...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, nice fish! I bet he tastes even better than he looks! Enjoy, jo-jo

Meagan Beavers said...

A fabulous photo of you! What a beautie of a fish!

Anonymous said...

Nice fish; your are right; Girls Rule. I also got a 3 pounder yesterday, plus a one pounder. This morning I got a hat trick. one 2lbs and 2 1lbs. Yum Yum Yum. Good luck tonight.