Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

THE BEAVER IS BACK





I looked out of the back window this morning and noticed that our swamp was full of water which meant only one thing - the beaver was back!!  Sure enough when we hurried out over the bridge to the stream there was the dam - not a very big one in my opinion but enough to back everything up.  How he managed to get some of those logs in place amazes me.  All that work in one night.  I found out later that the real work was under the bridge which was packed solid with mud and grasses.  If you don't catch it in time it can back up over our septic bed and do a lot of damage.
There has been a lot of rain the past week or two so the stream has been running hard and it is the sound of the rushing water that triggers the beaver's damming instincts so as long as the water is rushing that beaver will be back every nite doing his thing and we will have to break it up each morning until he gives up (which he won't do) or we "gently persuade" him not to come back.  I am betting on the latter.

I will keep you in the loop.

No comments: