Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 26, 2010

HOW MUCH STUFF DO WE REALLY NEED??

For the past few days I have been at Stacey and Andrew's home in Amherstburg trying to sort out stuff that they will be taking to their new home in London. We are here and they are there due to circumstances beyond any one's control. But doing so has got me thinking about "stuff" that we really need to live. I have been inspired by this chore, to go thru my closets and cupboards and drawers and kitchen and bathroom etc. etc to purge myself of any unnecessary items. And I know I have a lot. Every time I open my closet in my bedroom, I cringe because I have so many clothes that I never wear but I can't seem to get rid of. Every time I try, I get depressed. I touch something and think, I will wear this again but I never seem to. Up here, you only need jeans, t-shirts and (don't laugh) turtlenecks. I have good clothes but I have no where to wear them. But, you never know. I must have, no exaggeration, 20 pairs of jeans. But, being a woman, they are different sizes. I can't get rid of my small jeans just in case I loose those 5 pounds and I can't get rid of the bigger ones because I may gain a couple of pounds. I know I am not the only one like this. There is a SisterHood of the Expanding Jean Collection that I just may join one day. And don't even talk to me of jackets...I am embarrassed to say how many I own. I could clothe a small village just with my jackets!!! The number is over 30 but under 60 - somewhere in between - but, to my credit, I never throw anything out. I have a ski jacket that is over 25 years old that I still wear for working up here - when I bring in the fire wood for instance. And the same can be said for footwear. I just bought a new pair of work boots but I did throw out the pair I replaced. That will be my new procedure - every time I buy some item of clothing, I will get rid of the item I am replacing. But I don't know when that will be because I am not going to buy anymore clothes for quite a while.
But it is not just clothes - it is stuff like kitchen utensils, little knick knacks, dishes, glasses, plates, soaps, creams etc. I need space in my cupboards!!! How many bottles of sun tan lotion does one need???
So, when I finally return home, that will be my mission - to go thru my home, one room at a time, and get rid of stuff I don't need. I want it all, but I don't need it all.
There are bins in Thessalon for the needy. I will fill them up with my stuff. I have been very fortunate in my life, to be able to afford stuff - but there are many people who are not so fortunate thru no fault of their own. And it is the season to give...
How about you? How much stuff do you really need????
See Ya Bye

No comments: