Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 27, 2011

ALL IN A DAY'S WORK




We finally got to work on the wood yesterday - we were just going to go look at the site and check it out - Rejean brought along the chainsaw, axe and 16' piece of wood (for measuring the logs) so we got a few trees down. I was very happy to see that the sap wasn't running yet in the trees. A few people around here have started their maple syrup so I was a little concerned. If the sap is running, the wood would be wet - a bit hard on the chainsaw and it would take longer to dry.

Today it was -20 when we woke up. Got a good breakfast in us - sausage and egg and toast. I made a sandwich out of mine as I usually do, with my bbq sauce on it. Yum Yum and it kept me from being hungry until lunch time.

My hands were cold at first but once you get going, you warm up fast. The sun was out, not a cloud in the sky and it was actually warm on your face. We got a lot done in one day. We started at 10am and worked til 3pm. I didn't want to kill myself the first day out. But I enjoy the hard work - it is my favourite time of year. The snow is perfect - you can walk on top of it without sinking down and by the afternoon, it is like corn snow - very easy to walk on.

What slows us down is the branches. We pile them in a heap and tomorrow, we will light them on fire. Then I will just keep feeding it. It cleans up the area and it doesn't look so messy. Rejean said we got about 5 cords done today so we are on track for the rest of the week. And it is supposed to be nice for the rest of the week - cold at nite and sunny and nice during the day. We should be able to take all the trees down tomorrow, then just work on measuring, cutting, stacking and burning.


No more Kathy Smith workout dvds for me this week. You get a great workout doing the wood. It is both cardio and weights. Some of those logs are mighty heavy - and all the bending and lifting and walking in the snow - that is enough for me ;o)


See ya Bye

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Could you set aside a couple logs for us? I want to make side tables with them. I'll need pieces that can stand upright and be flat enough on the top to balance/ fit a drink or plate on them.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Question, are those three different stacks of wood or is it one stack photographed three times from different angles ?

northernbliss said...

Sure thing Stacey - I'll get you some pretty ones.
And they are 3 different stacks and we have even more after today's effort.