Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 18, 2012

STUFF

I just uploaded some pictures and I just had to share some stories.
The first picture is of a turtle I saved harassed the other day.  I was driving home from the hall and I saw this guy by the side of the road pointed in the wrong direction - his path would have taken him into traffic and probably squashed him.  I turned around and parked and approached him.  He saw me and slowly started pulling in all his bits until he was just a shell.  I picked him up because he wasn't  a snapper and helped him down a hill towards Chub Lake.  Hopefully that was ok with him.
The next picture you can just make out a pair of adult Sandhill Cranes I disturbed while out fishing the river last week.  I have my own secret spot I go to and left the guys to make my way there.  About 3/4 of the way there I saw a family of Sandhills walking along the shore in front of me.  If you have never heard Sandhills before, it is the weirdest sound you have ever heard - a clucking kind of sound and when you get 2 adults who think you are out to hurt their baby clucking at you, you pay attention.  The adults starting flying in my direction across the river, all the while clucking away at me.  The baby was frantically walking along the shore away from me.  I immediately turned around and headed back - I didn't want to disturb them any more than I had to.  The picture is of them flying back to their baby, clucking their heads off at me.  I did manage to fall on the slippery rocks again and have a beautiful bump on my lower leg to show for it.
It is never dull up here...

No comments: