Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 26, 2016

SAVE THE TURTLES



It is that time of year when the turtles are coming out of the ponds and lakes and rivers to lay their eggs in the gravel or maybe just to cross the road to get to the other side but whatever the reasons, you have to watch out for them.  Yesterday I saw one that hadn't quite made it - I saw him and had to turn around just to make sure.  Poor thing.  I don't know why people can't just swerve a bit to miss them.  It is not as tho they dart out - they are slow moving creatures.
Today I spotted one on my way into town for the Ladies Luncheon.  I saw her and had to turn around and come back, pull to the side of the road and get out.  It was a painted turtle and not a snapper.  I could pick her up and move her safely to the other side of the road and I let her go on the gravel just in case she was going to lay her eggs.  She had everything pulled in except her little head which was just out far enough that she could see me.  On my way back I didn't see her so I can assume she is on her way to wherever she was going.
It only take a moment to help them across the road when you can do it safely.  Even a snapper can be persuaded to move with a stick!!

No comments: