Total Pageviews

Friday, May 13, 2016

WASN'T THAT A PARTY



My pictures are arranged in a last picture first and first picture last order so you have to view from the bottom to the top.
Never let a little rain stop you from going to a party where you have to take a boat to get there.  I hesitated but boy am I glad I went.  I got to meet some amazing people and made some new friends.  We were invited to the annual American Island party along with John and Linda, Doug and Diane, Arnold and Joy and Ron.  There were 7 of us in John's fishing boat but enough life jackets in case of any incidents.  The American Island is situated on Axe Lake and it has quite a history which we heard over the course of the evening.  They purchased the island in 1929 and have been coming back year after year and generation after generation.  In 2000 there was a horrible fire caused by a camp fire that smoldered underground for days before igniting the buildings on the island in the middle of the night.  Thanks to the residents of Axe Lake and the Wharncliffe fire department it was contained.  And over the years they have rebuilt another family compound.  No electricity but that has hardly held them back.  I saw iPhones everywhere all charged from one generator.  I hear next year there will be some electrical improvements.  They treated all of us like family and welcomed us to their island with open arms.  There were a couple of drones taking flight - I would love to see that video.
The food was delicious and Diane brought desert - Timmies!!  You can't get much more Canadian than that.
Everyone was up for the past few days on a work vacation.  Bunk beds were built and trails were blazed.  Hopefully they can come back for a real relaxing vacation.  I look forward to visiting again with this amazing family, my new friends!!

A few of the guys headed over to John's garage to watch the hockey game afterwards.  You can only rough it to a point and a hockey game just trumps all!!

No comments: