Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

AN EXCITING SIGHTING



I spotted a woodpecker on the dead portion of a tree out the bathroom window and, as I usually do, I got the binoculars to get a better look. I had never seen one like this before so I grabbed my trusty "Birds of North America" a field guide to the majority of birds around here and lo and behold it was a Three-Toed Woodpecker!!


The picture does not do it justice - there is a bright yellow crown on the male as this one was. Otherwise, it is pretty much like the Hairy or Downy Woodpecker in it's body. It stuck around for a couple of hours, even taking a sleep break on the tree. The book says that an excavation of a cavity for a nest can take up to 12 hours so maybe that is what this one was doing. It is not there now but I will keep an eye out for him tomorrow.


See Ya Bye

No comments: