Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 27, 2011

FINALLY, A DIAGNOSIS

I had my doctor's appointment this morning about my toe.  I have had a pain in my left big toe for over a year and being me, I put  off having it looked at.  I always figure it will just go away.  But it didn't.  And it has been interfering with my exercise routine.  I couldn't do my half marathon this year because I couldn't get in the training because of the pain. And I had to buy an exercise bike for my cardio because I couldn't do my treadmill.  My doctor sent me for x-rays and I got the results today.  I have osteoarthritis of the base of my big toe!!!  I asked the usual questions such as what can I do about it and if it will get worse or if I will get it in other joints.  I said I don't take any pain medication for it as it is really not that hard to live with but she wants me to "manage" the pain by taking extra strength Tylenol 500 mg every 6 hours.  Ugh.  She says it will take care of the inflammation and in doing so, prevent it from getting any worse.  I can see her reasoning.  But I don't like the idea of taking any medication (except my miracle drugs estrogen and progesterone) but I do want to be able to function as a human being in the future so I am taking her advice.  I took my first Tylenol extra strength tablet at 4pm today.  I can still feel the pain in my toe but it is not as bad.  The miracle of modern medicine.
See Ya Bye