Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 7, 2009

IT HAD TO HAPPEN SOMETIME

One of the bird feeders is placed close to the windows in the addition - every day I hear a bird strike one of the windows and each window has a bit of feathers stuck to the outside. The birds don't seem to harm themselves probably because they don't get up enough speed to knock themselves out - until today. I heard a double strike and, as I always do, I peek out to make sure they are ok. Well this time there was a little common redpoll on the cement outside the window. I thought, give him a few minutes and he'll catch his breath and fly away. But after about 15 minutes when I checked back, he was still there. It wasn't that cold but I thought I'd put him on a cloth to keep him from getting too cold. I managed to move him with no problem - he didn't put up any kind of fight. I remember Linda telling me to place a colander on top of a hurt bird so no other bird or creature can get at them while they recuperate. I got my kitchen colander and placed it over him. I was quite windy so I thought I would bring him inside to warm him up. After about one hour i checked on him and he seemed to be ok - he was flapping his wings a bit so I took him out and let him go. The poor thing couldn't fly and he seemed to not be able to move his feet - so I went and got him again and took him inside - to make a long story short, I found him dead this morning. I don't know what I would have done if he was still alive - start a sanctuary for hurt creatures? It was best that he died. I put him on a branch in one of the pine trees around here - I didn't want him on the ground so the fox could get him. He will just disintegrate in the branches of trees he used to live in. I don't know what I'll do if I find a hurt creature in the bush. I haven't a clue what to do. I guess you just have to let nature take it's course in matters like that. Unless I find a beagle in the bush....
Today was dump day but I never got out - the roads were like an ice rink - we had some freezing rain and it made for some icy conditions. I walked up to the highway to see what the roads were like and you could slide on them - a truck with a trailer with some snow machines was crawling along the highway - I didn't have to go to the dump so I just stayed home where I was safe. There is always next Saturday.
See Ya By

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

baby bagels being born 2/14-what a great valentine's present for rejean-sistersue ps troy got a bulldog cross beagle.haven't seen it yet-it's a boy-won't it make a great match with poop?????